The judaism tag currently has the description:
the monotheistic religion of the Jews.
Judaism has a several meanings:
- a religion,
- an ethnic group/nationality, and a
- a culture.
You can be someone who falls into one, two or three meanings.
- For example, converted Jews, secular Jews, Christians with a Ashkenazi genes.
The tag is also broadly in this way. Sometimes it's used for questions about purely religious matters:
- Was the Pentateuch dated back to the second millenium B.C.E?
- Did a Jewish rabbi precisely calculate the duration of the full moon cycle 1800 years ago?
Sometimes it is used for questions that relate to the Jewish nationality:
- Was the Jewish flag one of only two flags allowed in Nazi Germany? (The question talks about a Jewish/Zionist flag which is a national flag and not a religious item).
I think that the description should include something along the lines of
This tag can be used for question about the Jewish religion or the Jewish people.
And I wanted to consult about it.