I am a Haskell programmer at Consensys, an Ethereum laboratory/incubator/innovator founded by Joseph Lubin. Since joining, I have been working on the design and prototype of an enhanced smart contract system with a functional programming attitude.
Before becoming a programmer, I was a mathematician for a long time. I received my PhD from Harvard in geometric representation theory with Dennis Gaitsgory as my advisor. Afterward, I was a postdoc at the University of Michigan, ending in May 2015, when I left academia and became a programmer. Although I'm fairly highly educated in category theory, which you might think is related to my interest in Haskell, in fact, I don't use the connection very much in practice. The language is simply beautiful in its own right.
In academia, my only programming experience was with the macro/functional/awful language TeX, for which I wrote a few small packages, most notably ytabeau and the unpublished trace-pgfkeys (available on my website). Compared to writing TeX, nothing else is that bad.
Panorama City, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Member for 5 years, 11 months
0 profile views
Last seen Nov 15 '14 at 17:02
- TeX - LaTeX 34.6k 34.6k 88 gold badges105105 silver badges165165 bronze badges
- MathOverflow 6.4k 6.4k 33 gold badges3030 silver badges4949 bronze badges
- Mathematics 5.7k 5.7k 1717 silver badges2929 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 2.1k 2.1k 22 gold badges1212 silver badges1515 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 1.3k 1.3k 11 gold badge99 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 167 How to generate a random integer number from within a range
- 162 How to create a command with key values?
- 142 LaTeX3 versus pure Lua
- 142 Does TeX/LaTeX give a headstart with other programming languages?
- 66 When not to use \ensuremath for math macro?
- 59 Which : \only or \onslide ? (Beamer)
- 57 Why use a package to typeset units?
- View more network posts →
Keeping a low profile.
This user hasn't posted yet.
Apr 18 '14